By: Megan Taenaka, GVJCI Social Media & Community Outreach Intern
It's time to get trendy! You may have seen these Japanese-style pancakes popping up on your social media feeds recently, due to their popularity in Japan. More and more Japanese cafés are serving these tall, fluffy pancakes, but they don't just look good, they taste amazing too! If you can't go all the way to Japan, don't worry! These pancakes are simple to make right at home! They also contain a secret ingredient... Japanese mayonnaise! While this may sound odd, you can't even taste the mayonnaise, and it helps create a moist texture. But enough about mayonnaise, let's get cooking!
*To make the pancake form, cut a thin sheet of cardboard into two long strips about 4 cm wide and 31 cm long. Do the same with parchment paper. Then staple the parchment paper onto the cardboard, form it into a circle shape, and staple it closed (with the parchment paper on the inside).
1. Whisk all the dry ingredients together in a bowl to combine.
2. In another bowl, whisk together the egg, buttermilk, and vanilla extract.
3. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, and pour the liquid mixture in.
4. Mix the dry and wet ingredients together, then mix in the mayonnaise.
5. Place the two pancake forms on a pan over low heat (Low! Not medium-low!), and pour half the mixture into each form.
6. Place a lid on the pan and leave it for 20 minutes.
7. Once the pancakes have little bubbles and the edge is slightly cooked, flip them over with the mold still attached. Place the lid on the pan again and cook for another 20 minutes.
8. Once fully cooked, remove the pancakes from the heat, and gently remove the pancakes from the forms. Your tall and fluffy pancakes are ready! Top them with anything you want! Maybe even put ice cream on top and have dessert for breakfast!
Come and visit!